Recent Posts

Saturday, April 24, 2010

No Swimming!

Growing up, I loved swimming.  I was the fastest doggy paddler in the neighborhood.  No joke!  Then I started taking lessons at the YMCA and not even the neighbor's son, who was twice my size, could catch me.  I look back now and think about how I COULD have been an Olympian (ignore the fact that I'm 5'3", rounded - minor details).  I don't remember why or when, but I remember my parents saying I couldn't take any more lessons and I wasn't allowed to join a swim team, even though my best friend was on one, and I was WAY faster than her!  I didn't see a point in swimming in circles with no goal, so I drowned (pun intended) my sorrows in otter pops and my new Nintendo.

This small memory and feeling of disappointment inspired me to make a piece about adulthood.  Our coming of age.  Saturn returns.  To let go of what we know and embrace our freedom to be ourselves.





I bought this beautiful agate stone - the shape and colors reminds me of our pool.  I then started carving away at the carving wax to create the pendant.

After I finished the pendant, I carved the cage to go around it. 

Back of the pendant.

After all of the waxes were cast into metal, I cleaned them up, soldered on the findings (hinges, fastener, the hand made bayonet pin system) set the agate and diamonds and vuala!  Over 70 hours later, my No Swimming! pendant/brooch is finished - Check it out! .  Now I need a drink!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Web Analytics